Thursday 7 November 2019

Backstory

(A/N: Credit for the new home goes to luvalphvle. Warning for a very bloody scene and implied torture.

2002

The next three years passed without major incident. The Farringtons had no other choice but to request a new home, as ten people in a three-bedroom house was simply not going to work.

At three, the babies had developed personalities of their own.



Tristan was the eldest triplet, and the most boisterous. He was also the fussiest, and often threw tantrums if things didn’t go his way. Not that that’s anything surprising or notable for a three-year-old, but his siblings tended to be more relaxed.



Carmella, the only girl, was often content to play alone, not demanding much attention.



Zeus was the most fearful and clingy of the triplets, and definitely a Mummy’s boy.



Ellis’ son, Charon, was the smartest. He hit his milestones much quicker than the triplets, which may not seem like a mean feat considering they were premature, but it was apparent he was a very intelligent child.




‘There. Not bad, huh?’

‘Yeah, they look good. And at least there’s enough to go around if they start clamouring for one.’

‘Yeah. Better keep them anchored down, for now.’



‘At least the TV seems to be keeping them occupied.’

‘I shouldn’t really, but it’s an easy way to keep them under control for a minute.’



‘It’s fine. I’m not one to question your parenting skills with the pressure you’re under! Nothing wrong with a bit of TV.’

‘Thanks.’



‘Oh, damn it, I knew there was something I forgot to buy.’

‘What’s that?’

‘A disposable camera! I wanted to take some pictures of the kids on their birthday. Now I’ve gone and missed it.’



‘I could go pick one up?’

‘I don’t know if there’s time…’

‘It’s fine. I need to go track down the girls anyway, I can do it on the way back.’



‘True… do you know where they got to?’

‘Aria said she was taking Raya to the park.’

‘Ah, that’s okay then. Well, your dad’ll probably be out of the shower soon, so you’d better get going.’




‘When are we going back?’

‘Soon enough. I just needed some time to clear my head.’

‘Did you wanna be alone? I can go home if you want.’



‘No, that’s okay. It’s not you who bothers me. It’s not even them, really, they’re only acting their age. But sometimes I can’t even hear myself think.’



‘We shouldn’t miss them blowing out the candles. It’ll be their bedtime soon.’

‘Yeah, well, forgive me for not being overly enthusiastic. Do I ever get a cake with candles on my birthday?’

‘No, but you said you didn’t want one.’



‘I don’t want a shitty consolation prize cake out of obligation because Roxxi feels sorry for me. Fuck her and her fake sympathy. Maybe she shouldn’t have married a man who doesn’t give a shit about his kids.’

‘She’s really nice if you let her be.’

‘Then you carry on letting her be. I don’t begrudge you a mum-substitute.’



‘What about you?’



‘I don’t want anyone. I don’t need anyone. Ever. Not parents, not men. Especially not men.’

‘…We should go.’

‘Oh, what’s the point? I’m fucking sick of watching him pretend to love those kids. He never even gave us the courtesy of pretending. All we do is get sidelined. Because there’s nothing we can do to make him care about us.’



‘…Not that I even want that from him. Not any more. Once, maybe. Before he killed Sheri. But even saving his life couldn’t make him like me.’

‘You’ve said that before… but you never told me the full story.’

‘I didn’t wanna upset you. It was pretty disturbing.’



‘I can handle it. A man attacked Dad, right? Gave him those scars.’



‘…Yeah. Nobody else was in. I don’t remember why I was going home alone, but you were all out except for Tate.’



‘It was happening in the kitchen. This man, he had a knife, and he and Tate were covered in blood… He’d been torturing him, that much was obvious. And he was going to kill him, if I hadn’t walked in.’

‘You know for sure?’

‘He even said as much.’



‘I just sort of froze in place. I couldn’t run, or scream, or anything.’



‘Ah, well, this was unexpected. I hadn’t realised I’d get an audience. But I suppose I’d better not, not in front of a child.’



‘You must be his daughter. I mean, of course you are. You’re the spitting image of Sheri! I wonder if you turned out any nicer.’




‘Look, I’m not going to hurt you, even though it’s bad to leave witnesses. I couldn’t bring myself to hurt family, after all.’



‘He said you were family?!’



‘Yep. Never found out how. Neither Tate, Sheri nor Olivia would clarify when I asked. They obviously knew, but I couldn’t find out. The internet didn’t have any records, and there was no way I could get to Bridgeport to find any physical archives.’

‘What happened then?’



‘Looks like it's your lucky day, Tate! Well, since I won’t be killing you today now, you know my demands. I expect to get what's mine. Or who knows who will be next. And don’t think you can try cheating me again. It has to be yours and Olivia’s. Go on, girl. Save him. Or finish him off. I wouldn't blame you. Don’t you worry about me. I’ll just see myself out.’



‘He left. Went upstairs, and then I snapped into action and called 999 for Tate. He didn’t go out of the front door, he went upstairs and got out there somehow. They never found him…’

‘What did he mean? What was his?’

‘I don’t know for sure, but it seems like Tate and Olivia paid him off with everything we owned. They must’ve owed him a lot of money. Or whatever amounts to that much.’



‘Was it enough? He’s not going to come back, is he?’

‘Probably not, at this point.’

‘But if he said “I won’t be killing you today”…’



‘Well, if I’m family and therefore safe from him, you will be too. Honestly, he’s welcome to come back and finish Tate off.’





‘Hey! C’mon girls, you need to be home. You’ll miss the kids’ party.’



‘It’s a few balloons and some cake. Hardly a party.’

‘Well, do it for them? You wouldn’t want to make little Charon sad, would you?’

‘Emotional blackmail? That’s devious, Ellis.’



‘I know. But you do love those kids. Even if you won’t admit it.’

‘Yeah, course, whatever.’

No comments:

Post a Comment