Monday 8 June 2020

At the shelter



*ring ring ring*


‘Ugh…’



‘Are you okay?’

‘No… God, I regret last night.’

‘I’m glad you came back in one piece.’



‘Yeah. Wish I didn’t have to go to school.’

‘I bet.’

*knock knock*
‘Come in.’



‘Roxxi said you still went out last night.’

‘Yep.’

‘Oh, Ari… You should’ve waited. I would’ve looked after you. And it wouldn't have been a school night, either...’



‘I know. I was sulking. I shouldn’t have, really. I got some nice presents from you guys. I’ve had worse birthdays.’

‘But I let you down, and 18 is a big birthday.’

‘Well, it doesn’t matter now. I’ve learned my lesson, and I’m never drinking again.’

‘You don’t have to go that far, but I certainly see why you feel that way.’



‘We could still do something on Saturday.’



‘Yeah, that sounds nice, doesn’t it? Something fun and booze free.’



‘Aw, thanks, you guys…’

‘It’s okay.’



‘…Look, this is going to sound crazy, but last night… I think I saw Uncle Edward.’



‘Seriously?’

‘Yeah. I mean, I was drunk, and he looked so different, but it had to have been him. It took me a while to recognise him. He was homeless. Long hair, obviously unwashed, and God, he was covered in scars…’

‘What made you think it’s him?’



‘He helped me! I got thrown out of the bar for being aggressive-'

‘Oh, Ari.’

‘I know, I know. But he called a taxi for me. He knew my name, too. I never told him; how could he have known that? It was definitely him!’



‘Did you ask…?’

‘…He denied knowing me. Why would he lie? God, this is all so confusing.’

‘Wow. I don’t even know what to think…’



‘That’s crazy…’



‘I wanna try finding him again. Just so I know for sure. Ellis, please, can you help me?’

‘We don’t know where he is now, if he’s homeless.’

‘Do you know the kind of places they go? Shelters, stuff like that?’



‘I suppose we could try visiting some shelters… Though it seems a long shot. If it really is him, and he lied to you… does that mean he doesn’t want to see us?’



‘That doesn’t sound like him, from what you said about him…’



‘I know. But we should try. Shouldn’t we? Fuck, it’s Christmas soon, and if he’s homeless, then he might be spending it outside in the cold!’



‘Oh God… Shit. You’re right. Then let’s try to find him, if we can.’

A few days later…




‘Are you allowed to ask for someone?’

‘Probably not, but cop privileges.’

‘Hey, good idea.’



‘Hi there. I’m PC Farrington. I’m looking for a specific person. I was wondering if you could help me.’

‘Of course, what’s the name?’

‘Edward Farrington.’



‘…Also Farrington?’

‘That’s right. I just need to know if he’s here.’

‘Is he a relative?’



‘Nope. Just a coincidence. I need to question him following an incident the other night.’



‘…Well, someone by that name did check in today.’

‘Any idea where I can find him?’

‘Try the kitchen.’

‘Thank you.’




‘Jesus fucking Christ, Ellis.’

‘I know.’

‘You’ve been here before?’

‘A couple of times.’



‘It’s a fucking shithole! How is this supposed to help anyone?’

‘Because it’s better than being out in subzero temperatures. They can get a shower, and they have shelter…’

‘And that’s it.’

‘Sadly.’



‘That’s appalling. They couldn't have even made it look nice? They deserve better.’

‘Yeah… He’d better be somewhere communal, I’m not taking you anywhere near the men’s’ dorms. They're not pleasant. In fact, just stick with me, I don’t want you out of my sight.’





‘…That’s him.’

‘Oh my God… It is him!’

‘Oh… Oh my God… How…?’

‘I can’t believe it! I was right!’



‘Oh… Ellis and Aria... How did you know where to find me?’

‘This is the closest local shelter… Aria recognised you. Holy shit, Edward, I can’t believe it’s you!’



‘Oh God, kids… You shouldn’t be somewhere like this. You really put in all this effort to track me down…’



‘We thought you were dead!’



‘I’m so, so, sorry… Look, I know I owe you a proper explanation. Let’s go talk somewhere else.’

‘Wait, will they let you back in if you go out?’

‘There’s an outdoor area.’




‘I didn’t think they were allowed to give out peoples’ names. In fact, they really shouldn’t have. They could be putting people at risk by doing that. There are families here, young women...’



‘I, um, might’ve lied and said I was questioning you. I’m a cop now, as you can see…’

‘Oh, Ellis! Don’t you be risking getting into trouble over me!’

‘What else was I supposed to do? I barely believed Aria when she told me, but I was so desperate that I went along with it! We’ve been sick with worry! Like she said, we thought you’d died.’



‘I nearly did… That’s why I disappeared. I would never have chosen to leave you under any normal circumstances, but physically, I couldn’t do a thing. I mean, just look at the state of me. I needed a lot of time to heal, psychologically too, and then…’



‘And then what? What happened to you?’

‘Ugh… it’s a horrible story, and not one I ever want to tell.’

‘But we need to know!’



‘Ari. Whatever happened, it must’ve been painful and traumatic. No wonder he doesn’t want to tell us.’



‘…I was attacked. And then I lost everything. I was made homeless… Tate, he…’

‘Tate did this?!’

‘N-No. Not the attack… the latter part. He owed someone, and he stole from me to try to pay him back, and took everything. Left me destitute. S-Sorry, I… It’s hard to talk about…’



‘It’s okay, Edward. You don’t have to say anything else.’

‘It must’ve been the man I saw!’



‘Y-You saw him? You saw Miles?!’

‘I don’t know his name, but if that’s who it was, then yeah. He was attacking Tate with a knife.’

‘Oh my God! Are you okay?!’



‘Yeah, I’m fine! Honest! He left when I arrived. He didn’t touch me, I swear.’

‘Thank God for that… Oh, Aria, I’m so sorry. You shouldn’t have had to witness that.’

‘Did you know it happened?’



‘I theorised… Once I arrived in Sunset Valley, I saw Tate’s campaign posters. It was quite by accident… I knew you must be around, then. I saw the scars, and I wondered if he had been t-tortured like I was…’

‘…Was this Miles the one who hurt you, too?’

‘Y-Yes.’



‘So… We should get off this topic, since it’s clearly distressing you so much, but… To sum it up, he attacked you, Tate tried to pay him off and robbed you to do it, then he attacked Tate? Because we left Bridgeport shortly afterwards, and we’d lost everything as well. We had to move into this tiny shack. All this was because Tate owed this man?’

‘That’s right. I knew you had left Bridgeport, that’s why I did as well. There was nothing to stay for…’

‘Oh, Edward. That’s so awful…’



‘I knew you’d never have left us. I knew there had to be something really wrong. You didn’t come after us because you couldn’t…’

‘Believe me, Aria, I was distraught. I love you kids. I never wanted to be separated from you. I’ve missed you all so much.’

‘Why did you lie the other day?’



‘I was ashamed… I never wanted either of you to see me like this. I’m a disgrace.’

‘But it’s not your fault! Shit, if we could, we’d bring you home right now!’

‘Ah, I wouldn’t expect that… Honestly, you really don’t want that burden.’



‘Of course we do! We’ve missed you! Fucking hell, can’t Tate just drop dead? Then you could come back.’

‘Well… Edward could spend Christmas with us.’



‘What? How, when you still live with your father?’



‘He won’t be here. He and Roxxi - his new wife - they're taking the triplets and staying at her parents’ house. It’ll just be me, Aria, Raya and my son.’

‘You have a son…?’

‘Yeah! Oh, it’s a long story. He’s six, and he’s a really sweet boy. He won’t mind.’



‘Edward, you have to come. They’re going next Friday, after school has broken up. They live in Riverview and they won’t be back until after the new year.’



‘Goodness… Are you really sure?’

‘Absolutely. It’ll be our pleasure.’

‘Oh God, thank you… I don’t even know what to say.’



‘Nothing at all. You’re family, okay? You stay with us.’

No comments:

Post a Comment