Wednesday 3 July 2019

Trouble, part II



‘Jude?’



‘Oh, Seth? Hey, what’s up?’

‘You’re in danger. You both are. Are you and Charon at your place?’

‘Yeah? What, Charon’s in danger?’



‘Yeah. The mayor’s hired Austin to fuck him up.’

‘What?! Why?’

‘Something about him trying to kill him. Shit. I’m coming over.’



‘Oh, fuck… is he doing it tonight?’

‘I don’t know. Eli didn’t say.’

‘Eli? What's he got to do with anything?’



‘Austin asked him to help and he said no. Whether he’s on his way, trying to get more backup, I don’t know, Jude. But listen, I ain’t gonna let it happen, alright?’

‘How can you stop it? If it’s Tate’s orders…’

Fuck Tate! He ain’t getting to do whatever he wants! I don’t give a shit if he don’t like it or if Austin don’t like it, I told you I was gonna protect my crew and I’ll do it! And that includes Charon as well, tonight.’



‘Oh, Seth…’

‘It’s okay. Listen, lock the doors, get him to call his dad. He’s a cop, ain’t he?’

‘Yeah… I’ll do that.’

‘Then I’ll see you soon.’

‘See you.’   



‘What’s going on?’



‘It’s Tate. He’s ordered Austin to hurt you, over the meteor.’



‘Oh shit…’

‘Seth’s coming to help us. He said to call your dad. If Austin does come tonight, he’s not getting the chance to get to you.’

‘O-Okay…’



‘It’s gonna be fine. Seth’s coming, Ellis will be once you ring him, and I’m locking the doors.’



‘Let him fucking try it.’



‘Dad?’

‘Hey, Charon.’

‘Can you come to Jude’s place, like, right now? Austin’s coming to beat me up!’



What?’

‘Seth called Jude to tell her! Grandad’s sending him to get revenge about the meteor!’

‘Oh Christ. Okay, I’ll be there ASAP!’



‘Thanks.’

‘Lock all the doors and don’t answer them!’

‘Yeah, obviously!’

‘Right, just hold tight!’



‘He’s coming.’

‘It’s gonna be alright. Even if he does get in, I’ll beat the shit out of him again.’

‘I don’t wanna risk you getting hurt on my behalf.’

‘Ah, it won’t get that far. I promise.’



‘I’m really sorry.’

‘About this, or about the meteor?’

‘All of it. I was stupid to think this wouldn’t come back to bite me in the ass.’



‘You were desperate, okay? You don’t deserve any of this shit.’




‘This the place?’

‘Yeah, Boss. She only just moved in recently. Some other bitch owns it and started renting it to her, I think.’

‘Right.’



‘You see anyone?’

‘Not much to see. Lights are on, though. I reckon she's gotta be in. Dunno about the alien.’

‘Let's see then, shall we?’



‘Oh, shit, is that him?!’

‘I’ll go look.’



‘Ah, fuck, let’s get upstairs!’



‘Oi! I saw you in there!’

‘You can pick locks, can’t you?’

‘’Course I can.’

‘Get on that, then.’



‘Sure thing. I kinda expected needing to. Not exactly the first time someone didn’t wanna pay their debt.’








‘Hey! What do you two think you’re doing?’



‘Ah, shit.’

‘Oh, good evening, officer.’



‘Step away from there! You’ve got no reason to be here.’



‘Not doing anything wrong, officer.’

‘Oh, really? So why are you at a young woman’s house, then?’

‘Just seeing if she’s in.’



‘Get going, both of you.’



‘Why?’

‘Shut up, Austin. Don’t question it. We’ll do what the good officer wants, won’t we?’

‘Yeah, sure.’



‘Keeping my eye on you two!’




‘It’s okay, kids! They’re gone!’



‘Oh, thank God for that!’

‘Thanks for coming, Dad.’



‘Are you both okay?’



‘Yeah, we’re fine. Oh, there’s Seth!’



‘Fucking hell, sorry. I’m here.’



‘Hey! I’m glad you made it.’

‘I- I got here when Officer Farrington was already outside, so I stayed back. Sorry, I should’ve gone up to them…’



‘No, you did the right thing. If you’d got involved, you’d have got yourself into a lot of trouble, wouldn’t you?’

‘Yeah… Shit, I shouldn’t be talking about this.’

‘Well, if you hadn’t, these two would’ve got hurt. So… thanks for raising the alarm.’

‘Don’t mention it. I wasn’t gonna let that happen. Anyway, let’s get in properly.’



‘God, I had such a lucky escape…’



‘…Did you really try to off your grandad?’

‘Um, it’s a long story…’

‘It’s fine. I’ve already heard bits and pieces. Sounded pretty justified to me.’



‘This isn’t a good topic really. But you’re right. So why does Tate have the likes of Austin doing his dirty work for him? And Blake? Why is Blake involved?’

‘I probably shouldn’t snitch...’

‘Look, it won’t get back to him. I’ve no intention of going after Blake. Austin, well, I feel like that’s a different matter…’



‘…What are you gonna do to Austin?’

‘I don’t know yet, Charon. But God, he was going to hurt you. I can’t let someone get away with that.’



‘They both would’ve. Because they do work for the mayor. They’ve got an agreement.’



‘Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, come to think of it… Must be why Austin bribed Tate for Nyla’s address. He knows they’re on the same team.’

‘Right. I had to ask Austin specifically though, when I was getting that info for Stan. Wanted to be sure before dragging the mayor’s name into it. I think you know why that’s a risky move. You did know about that, right? Your sister was there. In Stan’s store.’

‘Oh, yeah, I did. Everything Tate-related gets back to me. We’re all in it together when it comes to him. Hey, I’ve no intention of exposing you. I know how these things work. But even if I don’t get to Austin myself, either Stanley or someone else on my side probably will… but honestly, I’d rather it was me.’



‘Damn, Dad, you’re kind of turning into a badass.’

‘It’s just what parenting should look like.’



‘Anyway, I should get going. Jude, do you wanna come back to mine? I don’t feel good about leaving you on your own.’



‘Yeah, if you don’t mind… Thanks for everything, Seth.’

‘It’s alright. You know you can call me any time you need me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment