Friday 28 June 2019

Trouble



‘Hey, Mr Mayor?’



‘You have some explaining to do, Austin.’

‘Huh? I thought you didn’t want me to do the job yet? Thought you were waiting til after this wedding?’

‘Yes, and that was yesterday. The waiting isn’t the issue, it’s what happened at the wedding that is. Namely, the fact that you’ve been telling tales.’



‘I… don’t know what you mean.’

‘Then explain to me just how the fuck Stanley Cooper’s family knows all about how I gave you Nyla’s address.’

‘Cooper’s…family?’



‘Yes, that’s what I said! Oh, didn’t you know? They’re mafia. Turns out they’re very protective of the woman ever since she got involved with that idiot.’

‘Shit… what happened?’

‘They cornered me.’

‘Fuck. Are you okay, sir-?’

‘Oh, just peachy! Well? I’m waiting on this explanation. Because I certainly never told anyone about our arrangement. Who have you been talking to?’

‘Oh fuck, man, I don’t know!’



‘…Oh. Oh, shit. Yeah… I think I know now.’

‘Go on then.’

‘I told another one of our crew. I thought he could be trusted! He’s one of the higher ups, everyone respects him! I didn’t think he’d blab to anyone!’



‘Well, evidently he’s still friendly with Cooper.’

‘I’m so sorry, Mr Mayor. I had no idea it’d end like this.’

‘You need to make it up to me with this job, Donovan. Fucking do it right, and for the love of God, don’t drop me in it this time. Understood?’



‘Right, of course. I’ll get on that ASAP.’

‘Good.’






‘Hey, Eli. Got a proposition for you.’



‘Sorry mate, I’m flattered but I don’t swing that way.’

‘Not like that, man. Not gone over to that side yet, thank fuck. I meant a job.’

‘Oh yeah? What job is it?’



‘I just need someone to help me rough a guy up. It’ll be really easy money.’

‘Oh sure, who’s the unlucky guy?’

‘This alien kid. He’s the mayor’s grandson. Tried to do him in, y’know.'



‘Wait, the mayor’s grandkid? Won’t he be like, a kid? In his teens?’

‘I think he’s 18 now.'

‘Yeah, that’s still a bit on the ridiculous side, man. I ain’t helpin’ you beat up no kid.'



‘What, why? You don’t have to do much, I’ve got the brunt of it.'

‘Good, then you ain’t gonna need my help, will ya? Problem solved!’

‘No, ‘cos his cunt girlfriend’s gonna be there too, and I don’t wanna go into it two against one.’



‘This the girl that whipped your ass before?’



‘Whoa, hold the fuck up. She didn’t whip my ass. Bitch just went crazy.’

‘Oh, so you let her kick you ten ways from Sunday? Pretty gentlemanly of you!’

‘Fuck no, man. I held back ‘cos she’s Suzie’s kid, but it doesn’t matter no more. Fucking brat needs teaching a lesson.’



‘If you held back, then ain’t that exactly lettin’ her kick your ass in, ‘cause you were “lookin’ out” for your lady? Sounds like you got it handled if you’re takin’ off the kid gloves though. I’m gonna go grab some shit to eat though, so y’know. Have fun.'

‘Well, whatever then. You’ll be the one missing out. The mayor’s loaded, but suit yourself.'

‘Least you won’t have to share the money then, huh?’








‘Hello?’



‘Yo, you’ll never guess what bellend breath just asked me to do.'

‘Who the fuck is “bellend breath”?’

‘Austin. He just came over to me askin’ if I could help him with a job. Beatin’ up some barely legal kid. Well, two actually, but the mayor’s only payin’ for one of em.’

‘Yeah? Who is this kid?’

‘His alien grandson’s the one bein’ paid out for, but Austin was bangin’ on about teachin’ his “cunt girlfriend” a lesson. I’m guessin’ that’s the girl who kicked his ass before. Oh no, sorry, the girl he “held back” from beatin’ up properly ‘cause of Suzie. Whatever helps the big fuckin’ baby sleep at night.’



Shit. Are you serious?’

‘Yeah man, deadly. The alien kid tried to do gramps in accordin’ to Austin, and that’s why he’s after payback. Sounds like he’s willing to pay out the ass if Austin manages it.’

‘Oh, fuck me.'



‘I told him I ain’t doin’ it, by the way. He got a bit sulky with me for it, but I ain’t down with tryin’ to beat in no eighteen year old’s face.’

‘Yeah, good, ‘cos then I’d have to kick your arse. That’s Jude he’s talking about. She was working for me a while back.’

‘Yeah, I did wonder. Him bein’ salty over gettin’ beat up by a girl was a pretty big indicator.’



‘He’s a fucking scumbag.’

‘Yeah, no shit.’

‘Thanks for telling me. I gotta do something about this.’

‘No problem. Thought you’d like a heads up.’

A while later…



‘Boss. Fuck, I need your help, I really do.’

‘Why, what’s up?’

‘Well first off, Masters is a fucking traitor.’



‘You what?’

‘Yeah, he is. You know I got my ex’s address from the mayor? I told Masters about it, didn’t I? And now the mayor got fucked up over it and it must’ve been ‘cos Masters went blabbing!’

‘Wait. Slow down. What’s Masters got to do with your ex?’



‘Alright. A while back, he came to my place, asking me if I knew where he could get info like addresses. And I told him you could get them from the mayor. I told him I used the mayor to get Nyla’s address.’

‘He asked you where he could get info like that? But… he already knows that. He’s been with us twelve years, he’s a fucking Lieutenant, of course he knows about our arrangement with the mayor! Didn’t you find that suspicious?’

‘No? I had no reason to doubt him! I asked him why he didn’t just go to you and he said he didn’t wanna waste your time, ‘cos you’re busy-’



‘…Fucking hell, Donovan. So what happened? Who “fucked up the mayor”?’

‘Stanley Cooper’s family. He said they’re the mafia.’

‘………..Great, fucking fantastic. Now it makes sense.’



‘So you knew about that?’

‘’Course I did. Why do you think Cooper was allowed to leave us with no issues? His fucking family’s way bigger than we are. That’s a fight I’m really not interested in starting.’

‘Oh…’



‘But I still had no reason to view Cooper as the enemy. That’s why I didn’t have any issue with Masters staying friends with him. Fuck, though… I trusted Seth. I thought he was loyal to us.’

‘Yeah, well, he’s definitely not. He lied to me to get the answers he wanted, then he passed that info on and now it’s backfired on me.’

‘The last thing we want to do is ruin our relationship with the mayor. That agreement is fucking important. Shit.’



‘I still need to do this job for him… He told me I need to make it up to him. I tried asking Eli for backup, but he refused.’

‘Fucking idiot… You don’t just refuse to do a job for the mayor. Fine, he’s getting it later. Masters too. Look, I’ll go on this job with you. It needs doing right.’

‘Thanks a lot, boss… I owe you.’



‘Yeah, you really do. I didn’t need this shit. This is a big mess you and Masters left us in.’

‘I know… I’m sorry.’

‘Well, this ends tonight, if possible. Let’s get down to Landry’s place, see if the alien’s there.’

No comments:

Post a Comment