Thursday 25 April 2019

Zeus and Amos



‘This is a nice bar. I'm surprised we haven't come here before.’

‘Yeah, it’s a good place to sit outside. And the drinks aren’t too expensive.’

‘God, that reminds me of this really crappy pub back home. People just go because it's cheap and they serve underage people… At least young people here have better options!’



‘I bet you're glad not to be underage any more.’

‘I know. I’m supposed to be an adult now! It doesn’t feel like it.’

‘No, it doesn’t. But it’s hard to when you’re still in school, no?’

‘Yeah, definitely. At least going out for a drink like this makes me feel more of an adult.’



‘…Though it’s hard to enjoy it properly.’

‘Why?’

‘My family back home are… well, going through some tough things.’

‘Oh? But they had fun visiting here, right?’

‘They did, but… On the last day, my brother-in-law got a call from home. Someone had set their house on fire.’



‘Damn, what the fuck?’

‘It was deliberate arson. And the worst bit, well… I really don't wanna admit this, but we think it was my dad.’

‘Your dad? Why would he do something like that?’



‘Because he’s evil. Amos, the reason we moved here so abruptly… well, we’d been planning our escape for a while but had to postpone the move when Tristan was attacked. But we left in a hurry, because my dad hit me during an argument.’

‘Oh man. I’m sorry.’

‘Thanks. We got into a fight because he discovered I was the one running the anti-Tiberium group. It got really heated and he lashed out at me. Mum went mad over it and punched him.’



‘Wow, go Roxxi!’

‘Yeah, she’s a good mum. It all escalated really badly though, and we weren’t safe. We never were. That’s why we had to run away. Dad’s a really dangerous man.’

‘I had no idea. That’s awful. You really think he’s bad enough to set his kid’s house on fire, though?’



‘Nobody else has a grudge against Saraya. She’s a lovely person. Nobody’d want to hurt her. He was sending a message, because she was once burned in a fire…’

Holy shit! That’s sick!’

‘That’s Dad… and he was already mad at her because… Oh God, you must think my family’s so messed up.’



‘It’s okay. It’s not your fault your dad is a jerk.’

‘Doesn’t look good, though. Because my auntie Brie is living with him right now. She was having an affair with him behind Mum’s back and after we left, she moved in.’

‘…Wow.’



‘It was revenge over that. My sister went to go warn Brie about Dad and what he’d done. He found out and he was pissed, so…’

‘And she still stayed? Why the hell would she do that?’

‘My family is a mess, Amos. That’s why I didn’t tell you much before. It’s humiliating.’



‘Hey, I’m not judging you. Okay, I didn’t expect any of this, but it doesn’t make me think any different of you.’

‘Are you sure? It’s far from normal.’

‘Maybe, but I don’t care. Those people doing those things is nothing to do with the way you act. You don’t have anything to do with them for a reason.’



‘Yep… We wanted a fresh start. At least to put some distance between us…’

‘I don’t blame you.’

‘I like it here, though. I feel more like I’m settled in now. Though I do miss my family. It sucked to have their visit end on such a sour note but it’s nothing new for us, I guess. Anyway… Sorry to go on about it. I hope I haven’t made a bad impression.’



‘No, don’t worry. I feel bad for you having to go through all that. At least you’re safe here. What about your sister? What's she gonna do?’

‘I don’t know, yet. They’ve got security measures and stuff so I really hope they’re protected.’ 

‘Yeah… let’s hope so.’



‘Thanks for understanding.’

‘It’s fine. You can talk to me about it any time. It sounds like it’s been pretty stressful for you.’

‘Oh man, yeah. It’s not fun at all. I’m prone to worrying a lot anyway, so things like this don’t help… But some of us being safe is better than none of us, y’know?’



‘Yeah! And your mum is great for leaving and taking you along. That must have been hard for her to do.’

‘Very. So… We’re still adapting. It’s a whole new life. Least of all I, uh, don’t have to hide my sexuality any more…’

‘Good for you.’



‘Well, I-I’m bi, not gay, but still…’

‘Me too.’

‘Ah, cool… That’s awesome.’



‘It feels good to be honest, doesn’t it?’

‘Exactly. Dad never would’ve accepted it, but he’s just not my problem any more! He can’t get to me!’

‘And that’s something to drink to!’   

No comments:

Post a Comment