Sunday 11 October 2020

Domestic bliss

 

‘What can I do for you, Roxxi…?’

'I’m sorry to just turn up unannounced. I was wondering if your uncle was around? I’d like to meet him.’

‘Yeah, sure… Nobody invited you, then?’

‘No. I just heard about him from the kids. Thought I should see him myself.’



‘Edward, this is Roxxi… she wanted to see you.’



‘Oh! Hello, Roxxi. It’s lovely to finally meet you.’



‘Hi! Nice to meet you too.’

‘Your triplets are lovely, by the way. Very sweet children.’

‘Thanks! They’re a bit of a handful at times, but they’re good kids.’



‘Listen, I respect your decision to keep me out of their lives, but could you reconsider the others? It’d be cruel to stop them from seeing their siblings when they haven’t done anything wrong.’

‘What? I never said anything of the sort.’

‘Ah, well, Tate gave us the impression that he would be revoking Ellis, Aria and Saraya’s access to the triplets.’



‘He did? When?’

‘When he came over the other day.’

‘…I didn’t know… No, that’s not happening. I would never…’



‘Yeah, I had a feeling that’d be the case.’

‘Sorry. He didn’t tell me he was planning on doing that.’

‘He doesn’t give a shit about your opinion, what’s new?’



‘Aria. Don’t be like that.’



‘…I’ll have a word with him. But you’ve got nothing to be concerned about, alright? I’d never agree to stopping you seeing them.’

‘Thank you for that, Roxxi.’



‘Yeah, thanks a lot.’



‘Oh, good… Thanks from me too.’

‘God, don’t thank me… it’s the least I can do.’



‘Still, I’m glad you came around. It’d be nice to have some more clarity on Tate’s decisions, with the added bonus of not having to actually deal with him in person.’

‘He did say you don’t get on…’

‘Yes, but it’s only him I have an issue with. I don’t hold any hard feelings towards you, or anybody else.’



‘…I just want things to be good. No conflict. I’m not interested in making enemies with anyone.’

‘Then that’s fine. There’s no reason we can’t get along.’


Later…



‘She seemed very nice.’

‘I know what you’re thinking. How did Tate manage to pull such a babe?’



‘Oh, God. No, that’s not the wording I would’ve used.’

‘But you see my point.’

‘Of course I do. She’s so young, too… That part concerns me in particular.’



‘Tate’s a disgusting pervert.’

‘I’ve known that for a long time.’




‘Oh, hello. Where have you been?’



‘Out. Why did you tell your older kids that you were going to stop them from seeing the triplets?’



‘…Because Saraya did a risky, foolish thing by taking them around while Edward was there.’

‘Risky? But you said he wouldn’t hurt them.’

‘I know, but… It’s too late for us to start playing happy families. I don’t think he’s reliable.’



‘I just went over there and he seemed fine to me.’



‘You did what?’

‘I went to see him. Why? What’s the problem?’

‘You going behind my back is the problem! You should have told me you were planning on doing that!’



‘Well maybe you should have told me you were considering banning your kids from seeing ours!’

‘Look, Roxxi-’

‘You never mentioned it to me! I’d never agree to that! You should have consulted me.’



‘You already agreed to the kids not seeing Edward, then you changed your mind!’

‘I didn’t agree to them not seeing Ellis, Aria and Saraya, though! And I wanted to see him for myself, so I could have all the information needed to agree with your decision!’

‘So what, you can’t just take my word for it? I thought you trusted me, Roxxi.’



‘Of course I do… But I don’t see why wanting to meet him myself is a crime.’

‘I just presumed that was it. You didn’t need to meet him. I thought the issue was resolved.’

‘Alright, fine… I’m sorry, I was wrong to do that. But I still take issue with you making decisions without my input. They’re my kids too, Tate.’



‘Actually, I didn’t make a decision. I said I was considering it.’

‘But you spoke to them about it. You had them really worried.’

‘Saraya should have known better. Oh, it won’t have done them any harm. I think you’re overreacting about this, Roxxi.’



‘…I feel like you’re not taking my feelings seriously.’

‘Of course I do! But you have to consider, I ultimately have the final say, here.’

‘Why, though?’



‘Because… you know how it is. We have our roles and responsibilities that we agreed to.’

‘Okay, but I’m responsible for childcare. Doesn’t that count for anything?’

‘You know it does, and you know you matter to me. You have a very important job here, I get that. I’m not taking access away, okay? You can relax. Let’s just put this whole thing behind us. Let’s not argue.’

‘…Alright.’

No comments:

Post a Comment