Sunday 11 October 2020

Uncle Edward




‘Ellis, can I have a word?’

‘Oh, sure. I was wanting to talk to you anyway.’

‘Oh, really? What is it?’

‘You can go first.’



‘Okay… the thing is, there’s something I should tell you. I should have told you a while ago. It’s about Stanley Cooper.’

‘…What about him?’

‘I was actually friends with him, while I was still homeless. Before you found me at the shelter, I had been around Sunset Valley for a few months.’



‘A few months? God, I never even thought to ask how long you’d been around.’

‘Finding you here was a coincidence. Over the past ten years I’ve made my way across various towns. I can’t even really explain why… there was never a reason to stay in one place, I suppose.’

‘I’m sorry.’



‘It’s okay. But yes, I came to Sunset Valley, and found out you were here. I intended to talk to you, eventually. My plan was to get into a better position before talking to you. I never wanted you to see the sorry specimen I was as a homeless man.’

‘It’s not like we judged…’

‘No, but I did. I was going to get myself sorted out, with Stanley’s help. He took me into his home, Ellis. He actually invited me to live with him until I could get better.’



‘What… But why would he do that?’

‘Because he’s a good person. A stupid one sometimes, but ultimately good. He really helped me.’

‘But you were still on the streets when Aria and I found you. He was already in prison at that point. So he made you homeless again, with what he did.’



‘Unintentionally so.’

‘Well I’m sorry, but maybe he should’ve thought twice about burgling someone and then assaulting a police officer. Why are you defending him?’

‘Because he was the first person to actually treat me like a human being in a very long time. He never judged me. Everyone else turned away, or looked at me like I was rubbish. They didn’t want to know. I was either invisible, or scum. Stanley, on the other hand, actually talked to me. Got to know me. We became friends because he saw me as a person. And we got along very well!’



‘Look, that’s great, but he then made a choice to become a criminal. He hurt me. You know that.’

‘I do, and I don’t condone it one bit. I already made that very clear to him.’

‘You’ve been to see him?’



‘Yes. Oh, Ellis, I don’t want to cause any problems. If you’d rather I never saw him again, then I’ll do that. You matter more. I just feel that he’s worthy of a second chance. I believe he made a horrible mistake, and faced his punishment over it. I’d like to stay friends with him, but only with your blessing.’

‘…He really made an impression on you, huh?’

‘He’s a much better person than that one night suggests. If I thought that was all there was to him, then I’d never entertain the thought for a second. But I can’t ignore what he did for me.’



‘Edward… you’re a near forty-year-old man. I can’t dictate your friendships.’

‘But I don’t want you to be upset with me or resent me over it. Your opinion matters to me. I don’t want you to feel betrayed.’

‘I mean… it’s a weird thought, but I don’t want to cut you off from someone who matters to you. Even if I do think he’s a prick.’



‘Thank you. I’m sorry about this. I wish it had never happened either.’

‘It’s hard to imagine him doing all that for you, but I appreciate the fact that he made your life easier for a while.’

‘What did you want to talk to me about?’



‘…Sorry, Edward. It’s just… I wondered what you said in your doctor’s appointment.’

‘Oh? Just the same as I encouraged you to say. That I had been struggling and needed some mental health support.’

‘Right… It’s just that… oh, God. The drinking.’



‘Ah… I see.’

‘You didn’t mention that?’

‘…No, I didn’t. Sorry, Ellis. I know I have a problem. I’m not blind to it, I assure you. I feel horrible about the whole thing.’

‘Don’t feel bad. It’s not your fault. We’re just concerned about you.’

‘You’re too kind… I know I’m a burden. I wanted to mention it, but to be completely honest, the thought of stopping drinking fills me with anxiety. But I also know I can’t carry on abusing your generosity.’



‘I can’t even begin to imagine how scary it is.’

‘I will mention it to the counsellor, once I get there. I’ll try not to bottle it… In fact, I’ll write it down and take it with me. Even if I can’t get the words out, I can tell them that way. They can try… Try to get me some support.’

‘Edward, I want you to know that we’ll never give up on you, okay? No matter how long it takes. We know it’s a sickness beyond your control. We’ll stand by you all the way, as long as you try your best.’

‘Come here.’



‘Thank you so much. I don’t know where I’d be without you.’







‘Oh… you’ve brought them here?’



‘Crap, I’m sorry! They wanted a drink, and we were nearby… I didn’t think, I’m sorry.’

‘No, it’s okay. Don’t worry.’



‘What’s wrong, Raya?’

‘Oh, it’s nothing…’



‘Who’s that?’

‘It’s my great-uncle Edward!’



‘Hey mister, what happened to your face?’



‘Tristan!’



‘Tristan! Don’t say something like that!’



‘No… no, it’s fine. He didn’t mean to be rude.’

‘It’s not fine. His mother wouldn’t approve either.’

‘Honestly, don’t be angry.’



‘And that… well, it’s not an appropriate story for young children.’



‘What? I was only asking! He’s got scars like Father, that’s all!’

‘Listen, you can’t just ask someone that.’

‘Why not?’



‘It’s impolite. You know how I got mine, right? I was in a fire… And it’s still upsetting to talk about, because it was scary. So when you ask people about scars and things like that, it makes them remember something frightening. That’s why you don’t bring it up.’



‘Oh… Sorry, mister.’

‘That’s quite alright.’



‘Well, I think it looks cool! Harry Potter has a scar and he’s awesome.’

‘Oh, really?’

‘Yeah! I wanna read all the books but Mum says they might be too long. But we’re seven now! I’m totally old enough.’



‘You must be a very good reader, like your sisters.’

‘Yeah! Thanks, mister!’

‘So you must have only just turned seven.’



‘We all have the same birthday as Charon!’

‘So I heard! All born on the same day. It sounds like you gave everyone a bit of a fright.’



‘We ruined Mum and Dad’s wedding!’



‘Then Dad had me in the toilet!’



‘I didn’t have you in the toilet! I… at least moved to the floor…’



‘Hey Ellis, did he smell like poo?’



‘No, I didn’t!’



‘Of course he didn’t… You kids, I swear.’



‘Tristan, you’re gross.’



‘Not as gross as you! You farted in the car this morning!’

‘You do it too!’



‘They always argue, Mister Charon’s great-uncle. Hey wait, if you’re Charon’s great-uncle, then what are you to us?’



‘…I’m your uncle.’

‘Oooh! We didn’t know we had an uncle! We have an auntie, too. She’s Mum’s sister! So are you Mum’s sister too? You’re too good looking to be Dad’s!’



‘…None taken…’



‘How can he be her sister, stupid? He’d be her brother!



‘Oh... yeah. Are you Spanish too?’



‘No. I am your dad’s brother, actually. Are you Spanish?’

‘Mum is. Grandma and Grandad come from Isla Paradiso. We can talk Spanish too but Dad doesn’t like it because he can’t understand it.’

‘Ah, I see…’



‘Right then, kids! I’d better get you those drinks!’



‘Nice to meet you Uncle Edward!’

‘It’s lovely to meet you all too.’

No comments:

Post a Comment