Sunday 18 October 2020

Understanding




‘I’m glad I could partner with you in PE… It was always embarrassing being picked last.’

‘Oh, tell me about it. I had a lot of the same thing. Not many people wanna choose the fat girl. Anyway, I hope we switch to swimming soon. I’m actually decent at that.’

‘Oh God… I don’t mind swimming, but people tend to stare…’



‘I’m sorry. Damn, that’s rude.’

‘I’m used to it now. But swimming’s better with family and friends. I kind of enjoy it then.’

‘Yeah, ‘cos then you’re not with the bitchy girls here.’



‘Exactly… Um, would you be up for going sometime?’



‘Oh, sure! That sounds like it’d be fun.’



‘Cool… God, I can’t believe I just asked that… Normally I’d balk at the idea of willingly showing off more skin in public.’

‘Ah, well I was going to suggest inviting the boys, but if you’d rather they didn’t see, we could go just us.’

‘Hmm… I’ll think on that.’



‘Alright. I don’t expect them to be mean about it, but if it’s a matter of personal comfort, I get it.’

‘Thanks.’

‘Or we could do something else. It’s up to you.’



‘I fucking hate PE.’

‘Good to see you too, Heath.’

‘Just saying, I’m not exactly athletically inclined. I’m musically inclined. We can’t all be like Logan and perfect at both.’



‘Bless you. Where is he, anyway?’

‘He’s on his way.’

‘He didn’t come out with you?’



‘…He doesn’t change with the rest of the boys.’

‘Why?’

‘I dunno. Probably ‘cos everyone else’d faint from the sexiness, or something.’



‘Aww. You two are the ultimate bromance, aren’t you?’

‘Absolutely.’



‘A few of the girls fancy him now. I heard a couple of them talking about how fit he is all of a sudden.’

‘All of a sudden? Why, he wasn’t before?’

‘Um, I don’t know… I haven’t really been looking…’



‘It’s ‘cos puberty hit him like a train over the summer. Last year he still looked like a kid. Obviously, I’ve been with him all the time, but people who haven’t seen him for a couple of months are gonna be surprised.’



‘…Yeah, that, but I didn’t like to say…’

‘It’s fine. We all noticed.’



‘So what else did you two get up to over the summer?’



‘Oh, well I was lucky enough to win a contest for a bass. So Logan managed to persuade his mum to buy him a guitar to match, so we spent a lot of time practising and teaching ourselves.’

‘Damn. That’s a lot more productive than me. Did either of you see sunlight, at all?’

‘A little bit. But yeah, it was more productive than just sitting around playing video games as usual.’



‘Yeah, I can relate. What about you, Saraya?’

‘Um… nothing interesting, really. Can’t really claim puberty either ‘cos that, um, mostly already happened…’

‘Yeah, I crossed that bridge a long time ago. Got the leg hair and the tampons to prove it!’



‘Wow, I arrived at a great point in the conversation.’



‘…Is this what I should expect from being friends with girls?’



‘You don't like me mentioning tampons? Aw, c'mon. You gotta learn at some point if you get a girlfriend. Doesn’t apply to me, but girls like guys who can be sympathetic and understanding. Right, Saraya?’



‘Y-Yeah, it helps… You don’t wanna be that one man who makes girls buy their own sanitary products, right…?’



‘Um, no.’



‘…Are you talking from experience?’



‘No… it doesn’t matter. Forget it.’

‘Wow. Well shit, I won’t be that guy, then. So… thanks for pointing that out, I guess.’



‘And in exchange, we’ll try not to be too graphic!’



‘So, I’m still wondering… Why did you try to rob the Landgraabs?’

‘The million simoleon question, huh? Why’s it that everyone asks me that?’

‘It’s a good question. You didn’t have any reason to, really, did you? You had this business before then, and I hear you’ve got a loving family.’



‘Yeah, and I’m grateful for ‘em.’

‘So why the switch to burglary?’

‘This an interrogation? You askin’ on behalf of Ellis? Gonna run to him afterwards and tell him what I say?’



‘No, he sounds like he already knows the reason.’

‘Ask him, then.’

‘I wanna hear what you have to say. It’s fair, isn’t it? All I hear from Edward is about how good of a man you are, yet you still ended up in someone’s house with pockets full of jewellery, and you ended up giving my poor brother a black eye over it. So you must have a compelling reason.’



‘I gave your poor brother a black eye ‘cos I panicked and didn’t wanna go to prison. Except that just fuckin’ cemented me gettin’ a custodial sentence, so… Yeah, I fucked up. And no, I don’t got a compelling reason. That’s the worst part. You ain’t lettin’ this go, are you?’

‘No, I’m not.’



‘…Pretty sure you’ve worked out by now that not all my goods are legally sourced. There’s a gang that operates in this area. I get a lotta shit from them, or did, anyway. So I decided I wanted to be a bigger part of it. Tried to become a real gang member.’

‘…Why?’

‘Cos I thought I was harder than I was. Was tryna play the tough guy, got my ass handed to me. I dunno, it’s fuckin’ stupid… This store, I’m lucky to have it. My extended family paid for it, allowed me to start my own business. I guess I just wanted to prove myself. I didn’t achieve any of this on my own. I got it given. So I wanted to show I could do shit on my own. And I got six months inside for it.’



‘So this gang asked you to do it?’

‘Ain’t no ask about it. You do as they say. But yeah, it was their initiation. Obvious to say, I ain’t a gang member no more.’

‘Do they allow that? I thought once you joined a gang, you couldn’t leave.’



‘Ordinarily, no, but you know… My extended family again. They got involved and got me off the hook.’

‘Your “extended family” sounds like they have a lot of influence.’

‘They sure do. So I mean it when I say I’m turning over a new leaf. I gotta show my gratitude in a lot better way than gettin’ myself sent to prison.’



‘…But you said some of your goods are still illegal.’

‘Oh, that, it’s fine. The cops ain’t got time or resources for that. Ellis said so himself. Long as I keep up with my parole officer and don’t step on any rich peoples’ toes, I’m fine.’

‘Oh, right.’



‘I know, it’s a different world down here. I ain’t gonna call you naive, or imply you ain’t seen some shit, ‘cos I know you have. Edward told me all about Tate.’

‘Right… I know I probably do sound naive. I don’t know much about gangs.’

‘It’s better that way. But the suppliers we’re workin’ with now are a lot better. You don’t gotta worry about them.’

‘Good, good… Sorry for prying.’

‘It’s okay. You had the right to ask. I hurt your brother, so… I’m the one who’s sorry.’



‘Well, you also helped Edward when nobody else would. That means a lot to me.’



‘He’s a good man. The pleasure was all mine.’

No comments:

Post a Comment