Tuesday 11 February 2020

Coming out



‘Seth, what the hell happened to you?’


‘Blake did. Let me in, will you? I don’t wanna be seen hanging around.’

‘Of course.’

Twenty minutes later…


‘So I’m gonna have to see less of you, or at least be more discreet. I need Blake to trust me, or I’m out on my arse.’


‘Oh, Seth… you sacrificed that for the sake of Nyla and Jude? You really are one of the good ones.’

‘Look, I ain’t gonna pass up a chance to protect a woman from a violent man.’

‘That is what makes you a good person.’


‘I wouldn’t go that far, Roza. Jude’s just a kid, though, and Nyla… She’s soft as hell, that’s obvious. She reminds me of Billie. I ain’t leaving those two at the mercy of Blake and Austin.’

‘So you took the damage yourself.’

‘I know how to take a hit.’


‘Unfortunately, so do Nyla and Jude… If only more men were like you, then we wouldn’t be in this mess.’

‘You’re being nice to me today.’

‘Oh, please. I am not a dragon all of the time. And you are hurt. Both physically and emotionally. And I bet nobody is looking after you, either.’


‘Nah, you don’t gotta worry about that. Landon’s barely left my side.’

‘Landon, huh…?’

‘…We’re together. It’s kind of a secret. I mean, I’m keeping it a secret from people I don’t trust. I’ve seen what shit he gets, I don’t wanna be openly gay in the gang. Not that I am gay, I ain’t gay, I’m still into women-‘


‘Seth, it’s fine. You can trust me with this. You know you can.’

‘I just… didn’t expect it. I always thought I was straight.’

‘So, you are bi. So am I. There are more of us than you’d think.’


‘Yeah… you’re the only one I can think of, though. Billie says she’s been curious but I reckon it’d be a million years before she’d make a move on someone.’

‘How did it happen for you? Who made the first move between you and Landon?’

‘Neither of us. We just… ended up kissing. God, that sounds so fucking stupid to say. Ugh, I hate this shit.’

‘That’s cute.’



‘Don’t call me cute ever again, Roza. How can I re-establish myself as a hard man if I’m being cute with another bloke?’

‘Oh, please. You think gay men can’t be hard? Even Landon is built like a brick shithouse.’

‘Yeah, I know, and it helps. But you think the gang can really be some kind of gay pride parade? They don’t get it. I wish they did, but they don’t. So I ain’t saying shit to people unless I know they won’t judge, or if they will, I can knock their teeth down their throat. You get me?’


‘I understand. I would especially encourage you to knock some teeth down throats.’

‘Don’t worry, I will.’

‘Anyway, about Stan… You shouldn’t stop being friends with him. He didn’t mean to get you hurt, and neither did the Gallos. You have been friends so long that it would be a shame.’


‘Yeah, you’re right. I don’t want to lose him as a mate, but like I said to you, I can’t be seen with certain people no more.’

‘Do you want me to say something to Nari? I am sure they would be apologetic if they knew what had happened.’

‘Nah, it’s fine. I ain’t mad at them or Stan. I was, but… there’s no point. Like you said, they didn’t mean to get me hurt. So I don’t need an apology. If you wanna pass on any message to Stan or his family, tell ‘em I ain’t holding a grudge. I’m just… protecting myself.’


‘Blake won’t win, you know.’

‘I hope so.’

‘One way or another, we’ll make sure of it.’




‘It’s always nice to see you three, dear. Thanks for coming over.’

‘No problem, Mum, but we probably ought to get back before long. Mattie could do with a feed.’

‘Of course. But before you go, can I just talk to you about something? I have something to tell you.’

‘Sure. What is it?’


‘I’ve been seeing someone. But it’s not just anyone... It’s Roxxi.’


‘Whoa, really? For how long?’

‘That’s the awkward part… We’ve been together since your wedding.’

‘But… that was nearly two years ago, Mum.’


‘I know, honey.’

Way before she left Tate.’

‘Look, we’re not proud of the fact that we started as an affair. It’s something I said I’d never do. But this was different. And we’ve taken things very slowly. For a long time, it was more of an emotional affair. She needed a friend, more than anything.’



‘I can understand that… She always seemed so lonely.’

‘She was. It was unexpected, I’ll admit it.’

‘How did it happen?’


‘We got talking. She was a little tipsy and said more than she intended to. She ended up opening up about a lot of things. And then we ended up kissing. But that was it. Like I said, we did no more than kiss for ages.’


‘That’s good… I have to admit, I’d feel a bit weird if you’d used our wedding to score.’

‘Logan… Don’t be rude.’


‘No, I understand. It really wasn’t like that, though.’


‘We don’t need to interrogate her. If they’re happy together, that’s great, isn’t it? They both deserve someone nice.’

‘Sorry… I didn’t mean to sound like I was objecting to it. It’s just a bit of a surprise, especially to hear it’s been going on so long and that she was taking such a big risk. I mean, what if Tate had found out?’


‘It’s a valid concern, sweetie. We are happy together. Though individually, she isn’t. I’m a bit worried, actually. She sounds really depressed.’

‘Oh, no… Poor Roxxi.’

‘We both regret that we got together under those circumstances. We so wish things had been different. I wish I could be there with her. Instead she was stuck with an abusive husband and needed to flee the whole country. We just made such a good connection. She’s so easy to talk to, she’s kind, non-judgemental… I’m sorry for not telling you sooner, Logan. It had to be a secret, and then she needed to settle into Isla Paradiso. We’re telling people now, though. The triplets will be next.’


‘That’s good… Who else knew?’

‘Hmm… Edward, Nalini, Nyla and Aria.’


‘Aria kept that to herself?!’


‘Her finding out was an accident. It was from the others. It’ll be nice not to have to keep secrets or make anyone else do it though, God. It makes it feel like we’re doing something really wrong.’ 


‘Do you love her, Mum?’

‘Yeah, I do. I think that’s exactly how I'd describe it.

‘Then I’m happy for you. And since we all know each other already, there shouldn’t be any issues. We already all are family.’


‘And next time we visit, we can all go together again, but now you’ll be able to be open about it.’


‘Aww, thanks… We’re going to be open with everyone else as soon as possible. Though of course, I don’t want it getting back to Tate at all. Not that either of you are on speaking terms with him, but these things travel…’


‘We’ll be discreet, don’t worry.’

‘What about Julius? You might end up bringing him up.’


‘Well, as for telling him, Roxxi says she wants to talk to him shortly after the triplets. And… if I become his stepmum, I’m fine with that. I’d just hope he takes well to me.’


‘Ah, c’mon Mum, who wouldn’t take well to you?’

‘Julius would probably be really easy to win over. He’s a pretty simple kid. Gaining a second mum – and a really nice one at that – can only be a plus.’


‘You two are sweet. So… will the weirdness of the situation put you off? Not only could you get some stepsiblings, they’ll also be your wife’s siblings. They’ll be both your brothers and sister-in-law as well as stepsiblings…’


‘…Good point. That’s kinda weird but… eh, I’ll get used to it. Considering they also have sister-cousins, I won’t even be their weirdest relative.’

No comments:

Post a Comment