Tuesday 8 August 2017

Eavesdropping



"I'm going to tell the class that if any of their parents happen to work for me, I can fire them  any time I want. So they'd better be nice to me."

"Doesn't a thing called 'unfair dismissal' exist?"

"Not for someone with my power and influence! Let's be honest, most of us Farringtons are above the law now."

"Only because Dad bribes everyone into getting what he wants... including the police."

"It's a smart move."



"It's bullshit, Tristan. And wow, you're really letting this power go to your head."



"Are you jealous like Father said?"

"No, I told you, I hate mega-corporations. Unless you're prepared to start implementing some eco-friendly policies, I want no part."

"...To be honest, I could do that, just for you if you like."

"You barely remember to even turn the lights off at home."

"Actually, I leave them on deliberately to wind you up."



"Oh, charming."

"Anyway, is it me or is your beard shorter than last night?"

"Yeah... woke up and found Julius going at it with a pair of scissors."



"Hahahaha, little bastard."

"It wasn't funny, I lost at least a week's progress."

"And how long are you going to grow it?"



"I think I might just carry on and see how far it goes... I want it at least long enough to plait."

"Jeez. You really are turning into some kind of hippy Jesus."

"Thanks."



"Charon, I know you'll agree with me here... I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like Dad too much. He's horrible to Zeus sometimes.  As for me or Julius, forget it. He forgets we even exist. It's not right... parents shouldn't have favourites."

"I know my dad doesn't."

"But because Zeus is a free spirit  - and believe me, he really is embracing it-"

"What do you mean?"



"...Naturism."

"Oh."

"Yeah, I don't go in his room any more... so yeah, and because Tristan is trying to be a miniature Tate, guess who matters the most."



"Damn..."

"I think it's getting to Zeus too. He puts on a brave face, but..."




Later that evening...




"...So all that made it pretty clear. Tristan is undoubtedly the favourite."

"Do you think he loves him?"

"I suppose he does? It's a lot of effort to buy a company for someone if you don't love them."



"Tate has more money than sense... but you're right. I'm just surprised, Hazel. I didn't think  he actually had the capacity to love anyone."

"No, me neither."

"That's useful... I'm going to bear that firmly in mind for the future. First, the current plan. Timed so that it all happens on the same day. His wife will receive a package, you will have another chat with the triplets and Charon... as we agreed?"



"Sure."

"Good. Then I'll pay Vincent a visit..."

No comments:

Post a Comment