Monday 18 September 2017

Escape plans



"Okay, I'm here. What's this big thing you want to tell us?"

"Thanks for putting clothes on. Come on, sit down."

"Jeez, it's not that offensive. And you just barged into my room."

"Yeah. Believe me, I won't do it again."



"Hey! What's up?"

"Hi. Not much, just been doing a bit of painting."

"Just to confirm... Father's out, isn't he?"

"That's right, Tristan. Dunno what he's doing."

"I have a really obvious answer to that, but you don't want to hear it."

"Ew, Zeus! Just... don't go there!"



"Can we just get to the point? It's serious."

"Yeah, 'course. Sorry."

"Right, well..."



***





"Poor Mum..."

"How could he say things like that?"

"Because he's evil, Carmella..."



"So I've decided. The three of us are going to talk to Mum and ask her to leave."

"Really?! You're prepared to do that?"

"Of course I am. He crossed a major line, and I can't defend it any longer. She isn't safe around him any more, and I'll never live with myself if anything happens to her."



"Thanks, Tristan."

"Oh God, no, don't thank me. I haven't done anything to deserve it. Let's just get this done, okay? We don't have much time."



"Mum's out too, she went to Edward's.  It'll have to wait 'til later."

"Okay, fine. It's just that I don't feel the same here any more. It's gonna be shit leaving Charon and everyone behind, but I'd rather that than the alternative."



"Same... I've got my responsibilities here with the protests, but I can leave that to the others. What're you gonna do about work?"

"Hmm... I'd have to reduce my time there, maybe once a week. There are methods of fast travel I can use. In fact, I bought a LLAMA pass just last week."



"What's Dad gonna do once we're gone, though? What if he comes after us?"

"He's not going to know where we are."

"But if you're still going to work-"



"Then I'll ban him from the building. Fuck him. We're doing this, no matter what!"

"Aww, Tristan..."

"What?"



"I'm so glad you changed your mind about all this."

"Jeez! Okay, okay, I get it."

"Heh, you've embarrassed him now. But in all seriousness, I'm really happy about this. Hearing about more of Dad being horrible wasn't nice, but imagine if we never had to see him again! Then Mum'll be happy too, and one day she'll find a real husband."



"It's always marriage with you, Carmella."

"I can't help it, I'm a romantic! A girl's allowed to dream, right?"

"Yeah, I'm with her on this one. We need hope for the future, otherwise we'll just be miserable."



"...You're right. Well, our futures are going to be good once we're out of here. Because together, the three of us can do anything. That's always how it's been."

"I was starting to think we were losing you..."

"I know. I'm ashamed. No more, okay? And as well as being strong for ourselves, we have to be strong for Mum too."

"Damn right! She's done so much for us, and now we have to give it back to her."



"I feel a bit sad over it... Her and Dad's marriage was always a sham. She's lost so many years to him, and we're the only things keeping her here. If I were her, I'd regret everything. We shouldn't even exist..."

"I get what you mean, but she loves us, doesn't she? I'm sure she doesn't regret us! When has she ever given the impression she doesn't want us?"

"Never, I guess..."



"Exactly. She does love us. And we love her too..."

No comments:

Post a Comment