Tuesday 16 June 2020

Haunted game cabinets




‘Oh, Tate. I want a word with you. Can we talk?’

‘Of course. I have some news, actually, but I’ll let you go first.’

‘Well… it’s about Aria.’



‘Oh God, what’s she done this time?’

‘Nothing! It’s not a complaint… I just thought, she seems so stressed.’

‘Well, she will be. She’s got those January exams coming up.’



‘Not just that. I think she’s struggling, a lot. She never had any kind of counselling after her mother died, did she? Don’t you think she could benefit from it?’

‘You know she wouldn’t go, Roxxi. I’m afraid you can’t help someone who doesn’t want to be helped.’

‘That’s true, but… I hate seeing her so upset. There must be something we can do.’



‘Either of us? I doubt it. Look, she’s eighteen now. She’s responsible for her own self. If she isn’t receptive to either of us trying anything, then we really can’t do any more than that. And not to sound callous, but soon, she won’t be our problem.’



‘…What does that mean?’



‘It means, we’ll be moving out. One of my political backers has kindly offered to buy us a house. One that we’ll own. It’s in a nice neighbourhood, and crucially, it has six potential bedrooms. We’d even have space left over!’

‘Moving house? What, just us?’

‘Well, yes, Ellis and Aria are more than old enough to stay behind. I honestly think they’d prefer that. That’s better, don’t you think?’



‘So… you’re telling me someone’s bought us a six bedroom house?

‘Believe me, it’s a drop in the ocean for him. He’s a very wealthy man. He knows I’m from the right sort of background. He sympathises with my situation. So it’s no trouble for him.’

‘Wow…’



‘I think this’ll be perfect for us. I can finally deliver on the promises I haven’t yet fulfilled… We’ll be able to focus solely on our little family.’

‘And Saraya…?’

‘Of course. It’ll be good for her, too, without Aria being a bad influence.’



‘Isn’t this just washing our hands of her? I don’t think I can go along with that.’

‘She won’t be left on her own, will she? She’ll have Ellis. And the atmosphere will be so much better, don’t you agree?’

‘I suppose…’



‘I promise, you’ll love the new house. This is the best solution for everyone.’


The next day…



‘Right, kids. Here’s some money. You can all play some games, but play nicely, okay?’



‘Oooh, can we try the crane game?’



‘If you like, though… it’s a bit of a scam. Save it until the end, okay? Let’s not waste all your money on it.’



‘I just heard there’s a knack to it. Some people can play those things and end up winning tons of prizes.’

‘And do you have the knack?’

‘Hell no. One time, I found one that was “play til you win”, so it guaranteed a prize. Don’t think this one’s so generous, though.’



‘No… you only get one try. That sucks!’



‘Hey, Zeus, dare you to play Polybius. It’s haunted.

‘What? No it’s not!’

‘It is! People who play it die afterwards. Are you brave enough?’



‘C’mon Tristan, don’t start already… That’s just an urban legend, anyway. It’s been around for years.’



‘Although… I didn’t think the cabinet itself existed. How long’s that been there?’



‘Dunno. I don’t recall seeing it before.’

‘What… are you kidding me?’

‘No. I come here a lot, and… that’s the first time I remember seeing it.’



‘Oh my God… Don’t play it, Ellis! I don’t want you to die!’



‘It’s okay, I won’t. Let’s play something else, okay?’



‘Shouldn’t you be telling them that haunted game cabinets aren’t real?’

‘Honestly, at this point I don’t feel like taking my chances. Six years ago I didn’t think aliens were real, either.’



‘And here I am!’

‘Exactly! But while you’re a nice surprise, death by game cabinet wouldn’t be, so let’s try something else instead.’

‘Just let me beat Auntie Raya, then I’ll play you!’



‘He will beat me, too. I think he’s inherited your gaming skills!’



‘…You think we could convince Tate to play this thing?’

‘Aria! That’s mean, I’m telling Dad you said that!’

‘Sure, tell him. Then he really might play it.’

‘Heeeeyyy!’



‘Aria, behaving applies to you too. Cut it out.’

‘Alright, fine.



‘Oh, you got me!’



‘Yay! Dad, it’s your turn!’

‘Alright then!’



‘So, this whole moving thing…’

‘I know… It sucks.’

‘Didn’t Tate say you two can stay in the house?’



‘Yeah, we’re taking over the rent. I’ll get a job once I leave school. We’ll manage, I think.’

‘That’s good, then! You’ll get by.’

‘And even better, we can invite Edward to live with us. Finally get him off the streets.’



‘Of course… That’s even better.’

‘What about you, though? I don’t wanna let you go off with Tate.’

‘He’s probably gonna insist… But you know what? It’s worth trying. Maybe I’ll talk to Roxxi. She might be more reasonable.’



‘Yeah, it’s worth a shot. I’d love to keep you with us.’

‘…What do you think the deal with that Polybius is, anyway? Were you just winding Ellis up when you said you hadn’t seen it before?’

‘No, I really haven’t. It could just be someone playing a prank, I guess.’

‘Are you going to try it?’

‘In the interests of not terrifying the kids, no. But honestly, after everything we’ve already seen and been through, how scary can it be?’



‘In fact, I bet it wouldn’t even do anything to Tate. He’s far more malevolent than whatever’s in that cabinet.’

‘That’s a point. If you haven’t got a soul, what can it really do to you?’

No comments:

Post a Comment