Tuesday 16 June 2020

Makeover




‘Hey, Roxxi. Can I talk to you about this move?’

‘Sure you can, sweetie. Are you nervous?’

‘I guess. But actually, I was more wondering… Can I please live with Ellis and Aria instead of going with you lot?’



‘Oh… You don’t want to go?’

‘I just think I’d miss them too much.’

‘I guess, if it’s what you want… But you’re still only fourteen. Your dad is still your legal guardian. It might cause problems… What about permission slips, parents’ day, appointments?’



‘Then I’ll just have to come over when I need anything. Seriously… he’s got no reason to protest this too much, other than it looking bad, I guess.’

‘I just think it’s sad. We’ll miss you.’

‘And I’ll miss you too, but I don’t have to be a stranger! I’ll keep coming over and taking the kids out. You’re not moving that far away. I won’t stop caring about my siblings.’



‘Oh, Saraya… you’re a sweet girl. I think they’d love that.’

‘Great! I just really want to stay with Ellis and Aria.’

‘I get it. I think I would want to as well, if I were you… But I’m glad you’ll still come over and see us.’



‘Everything okay?’

‘Saraya says she wants to live with Ellis and Aria.’

‘…I see. Well, I understand, but I’d really rather not have to explain to other people that she isn’t living with us.’



‘Dad, it’s fine. I won’t tell anyone else. I can just pretend I’m still living with you. Nobody has to know any different.’

‘I suppose… Yes, I think that’s probably doable. If that’s what you really want.’

‘I told Roxxi I’ll carry on taking the kids out. That’ll be good for all of us, won’t it?’



‘I think you’re right. Very well, you can stay with them.’

‘Thanks, Dad. I really appreciate it.’




The day of the house move soon arrived. The family said their goodbyes as they split into two separate households.



‘God… I hope they’ll be okay.’

‘All we can do is stay in their lives. And we will.

‘I just don’t trust Tate. With us not around to do the chores, he’ll probably have Roxxi do it all. But then chores are probably the least of her worries…’



‘Yeah… There’s nothing we can do, though. You know how much he hated having to have a council house. He was always going to move out, if it were possible. And he’s jumped at the chance to not have to provide for us any longer.’

‘I didn’t expect him to give us an allowance for Raya, though. That’s surprisingly generous.’

‘It could’ve been Roxxi’s idea.’



‘Maybe.’

‘We’ll carry on being there for the triplets, okay? They’ll be fine. They have their mum, which is far more than we ever did. She’ll protect them.’

‘She could’ve done that by walking out.’

‘I know. Anyway… we should go get Edward. That’s one thing we can do.’



A few days later…



‘You look great, y’know. Your new makeover really suits you.’



‘Well, I do feel a bit more human. I know a haircut is a minor thing, but still. It makes a big difference. I really don’t know how to repay any of you for this.’

‘You don’t need to. Just focus on settling in. This is your home now, alright?’

‘Thank you.’



‘I’m just sorry we couldn’t bring you home a bit sooner. But this is the one big advantage of the Tate moving out situation.’

‘What, not the idea of Tate moving out itself?’

‘Well yeah, but… he’s taking those kids with him. I’m worried about them.’

‘Ahh, I see… I understand.’

‘I tried to tell Roxxi about Tate killing Sheri, but she didn’t believe me. She thought I was mistaken because I was traumatised, or some shit.’



‘Oh dear… Did he find out?’

‘No. Well, he would’ve said, wouldn’t he? He never approached me about it, so I can only conclude she didn’t tell him.’

‘That’s good. And telling, I think.’



‘What do you mean?’

‘Aria, in any other situation, if your stepdaughter told you your husband was a murderer and killed his first wife, and you believed that to be completely impossible, what would you do?’

‘I’ve no idea, to be honest.’



‘Well, if you were entirely convinced that said husband is innocent, and thought your stepdaughter was simply traumatised and misinterpreting the incident, why wouldn’t you tell him that his own daughter was accusing him of murder?’

‘…You think she might’ve actually believed me?’

‘I wouldn’t know without asking her. But regardless, doesn’t it point to concern over his reaction?’



‘…Yeah. She even said she thought he hadn’t been supportive enough. And she’s stood up for me against him before.’

‘I see… I wouldn’t judge her too harshly. It sounds like she was on your side.’

‘Then why the hell doesn’t she leave him?’



‘Because she’s a very young woman in a marriage with a man twenty-three years her senior, with three young children and parents who very obviously approve of the situation. Who can she turn to?’

‘…That’s just sad.’

‘Very. But you tried your best, and now all you can do is support them. Continue seeing your younger siblings.’



‘I’m not okay with leaving it like that. Are you?’

‘Not at all, but there comes a time when you can only help yourself. There’s nothing we can do to force another adult to act. And you need time to heal too.’

‘…She thinks I need counselling.’



‘I don’t think that would be a bad idea.’

‘So what, you think I’m crazy too?’

‘It’s nothing like that. “Crazy” is by no means a clinical term for anything. It’s a casual term thrown at people with any variety of mental health conditions. Did Roxxi at any point insinuate you were “crazy”?’



‘No, but I know what she meant! Tate was always making a big deal about me being “disturbed” and fucked up. He’d always say I was overreacting and blame me for everything. That’s why I don’t think she believed me.’

‘Oh, well, he would do that. A child is an easy target to pin the blame on, after all.’

‘See, you believe me, don’t you?’



‘Of course I do, but then I know for a fact what he’s like. Still, I also know you. I know you haven’t lied to me about any of this.’

‘So why the counselling thing?’

‘Oh, God… counselling is good for anyone. It doesn’t mean you’re “fucked up” or “disturbed” or “crazy”. They are such cruel ways to refer to somebody suffering with their mental health. The goal of counselling is to give someone an outlet to try to overcome whatever they’re struggling with. You can talk to someone, or there are other therapies tailored specifically to different conditions.’

‘Do you think I have a “condition”?’

‘I’m a professor of psychology, not a doctor. I don’t give diagnoses. You could potentially be struggling with depression, or some form of PTSD. I haven’t spent enough time with you to really judge how it affects your day-to-day life.’



‘…I don’t like this. I don’t wanna talk to anyone.’

‘You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. I just think the idea is worth considering. I’ve been in counselling before, and really, I should go back to it once I can get signed up with a doctor.’

‘…You have?’



‘Yes. Unfortunately, parental abuse leaves a mark. Physical or otherwise.’

‘Was it Grandad Sterling? He died before I was born, right? I don’t remember much of Grandma Isla either, though.’

‘Yes, and yes. Believe me… it came as a massive relief.’



‘How did he die?’

‘He had a heart attack. He was only fifty-seven.’

‘…You think it might happen to Tate, in another nine years?’

‘We can but hope.’

No comments:

Post a Comment