Sunday 11 October 2020

A new job




‘Here we are.’



‘Hi! Thanks for taking them out, Raya.’

‘It’s okay. I really need to get back for dinner, though.’

‘Okay, sweetie. I’ll see you later.’



‘Did you have a nice time with your sister?’

‘Yeah! We went to the park then we went to her place!’

‘Oh, lovely.’



‘We met our Uncle Edward!’



‘…What did you say?’



‘He lives with Aria, Saraya, Ellis and Charon!’

‘He has scars like you.’



‘…I see.’



‘Your brother…? I thought he wasn’t on the scene any more?’

‘He wasn’t.

‘So why is he now?’



‘I have no idea. Kids, I’m just going to talk to your mother alone, okay?’

‘Okay.’



‘Isn’t that strange? Where has he been all this time?’

‘I don’t know, Roxxi. But I don’t think we should let the children see him.’

‘Why not?’



‘Well, he flaked out on my children years ago, didn’t he? He just disappeared without a trace, before I was attacked. What’s to say he won’t abandon our triplets too just as they’re getting to know him?’

‘If he’s living with yours, then they must’ve forgiven him for leaving. They always spoke really highly of him.’

‘That’s their choice. But I don’t wish to take the same chance with the triplets. I’d rather he wasn’t involved in their lives.’



‘…What happened between you two?’

‘Not much? We’re just different people. We don’t get along. The two of us have very different values. He’s ten years younger than me, too. We just didn’t bond over anything but shared experiences of parental abuse.’

‘Oh… I’m sorry.’



‘You don’t need to be sorry, Roxxi. The bastard is long dead and we’re all the better for it.’

‘Good… You don’t think your brother is dangerous for the kids, do you? You don’t think he’d hurt them?’

‘…Not in the way you’re thinking, no. But I think they are better off without him around.’

‘If that’s what you think, okay.’

‘Thank you. You know I only want the best for our triplets, don’t you?’

‘Of course.’



The next day…



‘I do wish you’d reconsider university.’

‘It’s not happening. Especially not this year. It’s too late to apply now.’

‘That’s true, but you could still apply for next year, once you get your results back.’



‘I just don’t think I’d be any good at it. I’ll just get a job, that’s all. It’ll be fine.’

‘Is there nothing you want to do? No ambitions?’

‘It’s hard to have ambitions when you’re only focusing on actually surviving.’



‘I know. And it makes sense that trauma would do that. Once you’ve recovered a bit more, maybe we can revisit this.’



‘You’re way too persistent.’

‘I try.’



‘Hmm… I’ve just had an idea, but I’m not sure whether it’s a terrible one or not.’

‘What’s that?’

‘Stanley offered me a job, since he has a vacancy. Perhaps he’d consider giving it to you.’



‘As in, criminal Stanley?’

‘The very same, yes. He wanted to try to make it up to me.’

‘I’m not sure Ellis would approve.’



‘Me neither, but when have you ever done what he says?’

‘…Can’t deny it.’

‘God knows I don’t want to step on Ellis’ toes any more than I already have, but I do believe Stanley would be open to it. If you are, of course.’



‘What kind of job can a burglar offer me?’

‘He owns a consignment store.’

‘What? If he owns a store, then why was he stealing?’



‘That’s a question we’ve both asked him, and “stupidity” is his usual answer.’

‘That’s fucking dodgy, Edward.’

‘Feel free to interrogate him about it.’



‘Yeah, I might. Well, I guess a job in a store might not be too bad.’

‘It’s very small, very cosy. If you get on with Stanley, I’m sure it’d be good.’

‘Do you think I’ll get on with him?’

‘I do hope so.’


Later…



‘Hello, Stanley.’



‘Hey, Edward! Good to see you. You, uh, brought the family, huh?’

‘Ellis wanted to come along.’



‘I just wanted to make sure my sister wouldn’t get arrested if she worked here.’

‘With all due respect, officer, surely you’d know that?’

‘…You don’t have to call me “officer”. I’m not on duty. Anyway, we’re overworked as it is.’



‘Is this a dodgy business?’



‘No, it’s fine. Honest. I’m just lookin’ for someone to work the cash register, that’s all. Maybe do a bit of liftin’, whatever. You’d just be helpin’ me out.’

‘When would I start?’

‘As soon as you’re ready. I know you’re still finishin’ your final exams of school. There’s no rush.’



‘Are you doing this all on your own until then?’

‘I got one other employee. Works Saturday only. I free that time up for myself, you see.’

‘So I would work through the week?’



‘That’s right. Just 9-5. Think you’d be up for it?’

‘It does sound ideal.’

‘Great. Well, let me know when you reach a decision. And hey, Ellis… don’t worry ‘bout it, okay? After all the shit I pulled already, I ain’t gonna fuck things up even more by gettin’ your sister in trouble.’



‘Good. I’m glad.’

‘Aria can more than handle herself. I think she’ll be just fine.’



‘Yeah, don’t worry about me. Everyone knows I don't put up with bullshit.’



‘That works for me! And good luck in your exams.’

‘Thanks.’

No comments:

Post a Comment