Sunday 11 October 2020

Detox

‘Are you okay?’

‘…Even with the medication, this is horrible.’

‘I’m sorry. I bet it is.’



‘At least I’m here. Anything but fucking rehab. Or bloody AA.’

‘What’s wrong with AA?’

‘It’s all religious stuff. Don't get me wrong, some of the best help I ever got on the streets was from religious organisations, but I'm just... not. AA is no good for me. If I’m beating this, then I’m doing it, nobody else.’

‘Oh, I see…’

‘If God exists, where the fuck was he when I was having my throat cut open? Where was he when I had a gun pointed in my face a few weeks afterwards? Where was he when my father was lashing me with a cane?’



‘Oh, Edward…’



‘…Sorry. You don’t need to hear that. Maybe you should leave me alone. I’m too irritable to be good company right now.’

‘I’m not expecting you to be good company. If you want to vent, then you vent, okay?’

‘I’ve got counsellors for that. Two, now.’



‘Yes, but you live here. I don’t mind. I’m glad you’re here, too. I’d rather you were with us.’

‘Me too, Ellis. I’ve spent so much time away from you, I don’t want to be sent off to some facility for thirty plus days. It might be easier… easier to avoid drinking there, but…’

‘None of us here drink. Except Aria, but she can go out for that.’



‘Yeah… Stanley could use a new drinking buddy, now.’

‘…Is that something to worry about?’

‘No, he’s fine. The worst he does is karaoke. And I’m sure he wouldn’t expose himself in front of Aria.’



‘Expose himself…? I’m sorry, is that a regular thing?’

‘Only at the Old Horse. It’s a drinking game called-’



‘-Excuse me.’







‘Oh dear…’



‘Are you alright? Come on, let’s get you back to bed.’

‘What a mess.’

‘It’s only puke, Edward.’

‘I meant me.’



‘Stop that. You’re a bloody brave person. You’ll get past this part and then you’ll be much better, okay?’

‘Tell me that once the next 48 hours have passed.’




‘Thanks again for coming, honey. It’s lovely when you bring the children to see us.’

‘Mum… can I talk to you, while it’s just us?’

‘Of course you can. What’s the matter?’



‘I… Well, I’m struggling a bit. It’s hard to know what to do for the best.’

‘Struggling with what?’

‘…With Tate. He’s difficult to live with…’

‘How so?’

‘I feel like he doesn’t appreciate me or listen to what I have to say. He makes decisions without asking my opinion and tells me I should go along with whatever he thinks, even if I disagree.’



‘Oh. Is that it? Roxxi, sweetheart, I’m sure Tate knows what he’s doing. He wouldn’t do anything that was bad for you.’

‘But doesn’t my opinion matter?’

‘He is the man of the house.’



‘Yeah, well, sometimes I just feel like I’m only good for childcare and sex.’

‘Those are very important parts of a marriage.’

‘It hardly gets me in the mood to be treated like one of the kids.’



‘Oh, Roxxi. He needs that from you. If you don’t satisfy in that area, well… he’ll just get it from somewhere else. You need to make a decision on what kind of wife you’d like to be.’

‘If this is what being a wife is, then…’

‘Then what? Oh, honestly! People these days give up on marriage far too easily. It’s no wonder divorce rates are what they are. I don’t want my daughter being that kind of woman. It’s bad enough that Brie is what she is.’



‘Mum, that’s not very nice…’

‘But it’s true. Tate appreciates you very much, dear. You fulfil the roles that are given to you, and you’ll be a good wife. Would you really rather be a single mother to triplets?’

‘No, I don’t want that.’



‘There we have it, then.’

‘Fine.’

‘Oh, cariña, try not to take it so personally. You mean a lot to us all, you really do! Nobody ever said marriage was easy. You really have to work at it.’

‘Yeah… I get it. I’m gonna go check on the kids.’




‘Trouble in paradise?’

‘Don’t start, Brie.’



‘But really, I thought you had it all settled? Things not as rosy after all, huh?’



‘What are you trying to do? Gloat? I’m not interested.’

‘Seriously, though, what are you actually complaining about? You have everything you want. You have access to his money, and you don’t ever have to work.’

‘You don’t get it.’



‘And you’re Mum and Dad’s favourite little girl again! I wouldn’t be bitching about being “unappreciated” if I were you. Just lay back and think of England and reap the rewards.’

‘That’s a disgusting attitude.’

‘It’s true, though.’



‘Oh, whatever. I have children to take care of.’

No comments:

Post a Comment