Thursday 21 November 2019

Progress


‘You okay, Brianne?’

‘What? Oh, yeah.’

‘You look deep in thought. Is this because of Tate and those men?’


‘Oh no, it’s not that… I’m used to Tate being shady at this point. There’s just a lot on my mind.’

‘Wanna talk about it?’

‘Listening to me isn’t in your job description. Besides, it’s all self-inflicted. I’m not looking for any sympathy, because it’s all my own fault.’


‘Oh, I’ve had that line of thought too. That I didn’t deserve any kindness because I chose to do some shitty things. But it doesn’t stop people from offering it anyway.’

‘I don’t think you’ve ever messed up this bad.’

‘I think I have, but I don’t feel like going into it. That won’t make you feel any better.’



‘Have you ever been pregnant with three different dads as the potential fathers? Two of them being complete bastards?’


‘Oh. Well, no, I haven’t… How long have you known about that? Who else does?’

‘A few weeks, and Tate, Abraxas, Nalini, Indigo and Annalise. I guess the fact that you didn’t know proves that none of them have gone gossiping about it to the others yet.’

‘No, nobody’s said. I definitely would’ve heard about it from Aria if she knew.’


‘God, I don’t want her to find out… Roxxi always said she’s scary when she’s mad, and she’d be furious over this…’

‘I can’t deny that… Who’s the other potential dad?’

‘Cecil, but I don’t think it’s him. He was too soon for it to be him. I wish it was, not that I want to ruin his life but for fuck’s sake, I don’t need another child of Tate’s. And I especially don’t need a child of Abraxas’. I’m just too cowardly to get rid of it. Mum and Dad always put the fear of God in me about abortion. Besides, I already feel attached to it…’

‘You raised the twins without Tate before you came here though, right?’

‘He gave us money. It’s okay, I already decided I’m leaving him. You don’t need to convince me again.’


‘You did? Brie, that’s amazing! Really, I’m glad to hear it! I was gonna assure you that you could do it on your own.’


‘I still don’t know if I can… But I won’t need to. Me and Annalise, we’re doing it together.’

‘Oh, wow. Do you mind if I tell the others about it? Aria would be a lot more accepting if she knew your intentions. As it stands, she just thinks of you as someone who has no regrets. Or would it be too risky?’

‘I’m not sure, yet. Don’t go saying anything at the moment. If Tate finds out… that’s something I can’t risk at all, knowing how he handled it with Roxxi…’


‘It’s okay. No need to rush things until you have more of a plan.’

‘…Why are you being so nice to me? Didn’t you hate me for what I did to Roxxi?’

‘I’m not going to pile more on you in your lowest moment. And I know you a bit better since then. After the way you spoke to Roxxi, I didn’t form a very good opinion of you. But now I’ve seen that you’re a good mum who cares about her kids. And I don’t want you to become yet another victim of Tate’s. At least, not one of the worst off ones.’


‘Thanks, Topaz… You’re a nice person.’

‘That’s kind of you to say.’


‘Anyway… I was thinking of going to see Tristan. He’s the only one accessible to me here in Sunset Valley, and I want to try to do something before I end up leaving. I know he probably won’t accept an apology, but I should at least try. It’s the right thing to do. That’s what Saraya was thinking when she spoke to me, right? And she didn’t get the response she wanted, but that doesn’t change that it was needed. The right thing isn’t always the easiest thing…’

‘I can’t say he won’t be angry, because he will. But you’ll be going there with better intentions than Tate did.’

‘Oh boy. I’ve been psyching myself up for it. I’ll try to get something set up, if he even agrees to it.’

‘Good luck, Brie.’

‘Thanks.’


The next day…



‘Thanks for agreeing to see me…’


‘I was on the fence about it. I don’t think I would’ve agreed if Topaz didn’t think it was a good idea. So you have her to thank for this.’

‘She’s been nice. Far better than I deserve.’

‘I’m not disagreeing with you. So, why have you come here?’


‘I wanted to apologise. I needed to apologise. What I’ve done to you and our family was horrible… I’m so sorry, Tristan.’

‘You’re sorry? Why now? What’s changed? Is Father not what you expected?’

‘No… Living with him wasn’t like I expected, you’re right. I can’t do this any more. I really regret doing what I did. The-the only part I don’t regret is Marigold and Peach… I know I’m a lot of things, but I love my girls. They’re the most precious thing to me.’


‘Really? So precious to you that you moved them in with a man who hit his son across the face? Don’t tell me you didn’t know. You did. And you accepted it.’

‘He told me he was sorry and it was a one-off, and I fell for it.’

‘He was fucking lying to you.’


‘I know! He’s deceived me about everything! But I accept responsibility for my part in it… I was stupid enough to believe him and ignore the huge red flags. At your expense. At Roxxi’s expense… I really fucked up.’

Yeah. You did, Brie. But I don’t get it. What’s made you crawl back here to me? What did you expect me to say? You want me to forgive you?’

‘No! Well, I mean, of course I want you to forgive me, but I don’t expect you to! I knew you’d be angry and I accepted that as part of coming. I came here because facing you is the only option. It’s the right thing to do. I want you to know I’m sorry… and that I’m leaving Tate. But it’s okay if you don’t forgive me.’


‘You’re really leaving him?’


‘Yep. And I know I’ll struggle without his money, and your abuelos, well, they’re gonna be pissed. But you know, it’s a price I’m willing to pay. For the girls. I want them to be safe. I want to finally do the right thing by them. Even if they do have a poor excuse for a mother…’


‘Well, halle-fucking-lujah. God, it shouldn’t have come to this. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased, just… This shouldn’t even be a conversation. You’re my aunt, and you’re telling me you’re leaving my father because my sister-cousins are in danger. Sister-cousins­. Because that’s not totally fucked up.’

‘I know.’

‘What gets me is how calculated this all is. The twins are four. You’ve been doing this for five years, probably longer. You were screwing Father behind Mum’s back for all that time, and you never said a word right up until the moment she needed you the most. When she left him for hitting Zeus, selling off Carmella and threatening to kill her. What did you do, Brie? You dug the knife in.’


‘And it’s tearing me apart inside. I feel so, so guilty now, and I know it’s deserved.’

‘I get being deceived by him. I once fell for his bullshit too. And I did some shit things because of it. But I’d like to think I’d never hurt my siblings in the way you hurt Mum. What the hell did she ever do to you?’

‘Nothing… I admit it, I was jealous.’


‘You were jealous? Of her fucking abusive marriage? Wow, yeah, that’s something to be so envious of!’



‘I didn’t believe her! I should have believed her, but I always thought she was exaggerating! I thought she was being like me, that she was being a gold-digger and a trophy wife of her own volition and she just needed to accept what she was. I didn’t understand the reality of what living with Tate is like full-time. When I moved in, he changed, Tristan.’

‘He didn’t change. He just showed you who he really was. He showed you the side of him that only the people closest to him got to see.’

‘He’s started snapping at me… He could be grumpy before, but I thought I could just easily placate him. But now he gets so cold… Sometimes he apologises and… and starts acting sweet, but now it comes across so false. It feels slimy. I’m frightened. And I realise this is how Roxxi must’ve felt…’




‘…Is anyone helping you?’

‘Yeah. Don’t worry, I won’t get myself killed. Well, unless that’s what you want, then you’ll be disappointed.’

‘Jeez, I don’t want you dead. I want you to be okay. Marigold and Peach still love you, and it’d do nobody any good for them to lose their mum.’

‘Unless they’d be better off without me.’

‘You can start pitying yourself once you’re all safe. You need to fight for them, and you can’t do that if you’re too busy being down on yourself. No offence, but you really need to start acting instead of talking.’



‘Nalini is gonna help me escape.’

‘Good. She helped us escape, so… you can trust her.’

‘I’m really sorry, Tristan… to all of you.’


‘You need to say that to Mum.’

‘I want to. You’re just the easiest to reach here. I don’t know where you all went and I don’t expect you to tell me either, but it’s gonna make talking to Roxxi hard. And this isn’t a conversation we should have over the phone.’

‘When you’re actually free, then we can see about that, if Mum agrees to it.’


‘Will you tell her I’m sorry when you get home?’

‘Yeah, I’ll tell her.’

‘Thanks.’


‘Look, I’ll be clear. I’m not forgiving you. Not yet. But I do accept your apology. You didn’t waste your time coming here. It’s nice to finally get some actual self-awareness from you.’

‘Had to happen at some point, right?’

‘Yeah, better late then never.’

   
‘And… keep up the good work. I bet Roxxi’s really proud of you, for all this. I would be.’

‘Oh, I didn’t earn it. I’ve only got this because of Father.’

‘Yet here you still are, without him. You’re good without the bastard, Tristan. Don’t let him claim an inch of the credit.’

‘Well thanks, I guess.’

4 comments: