Friday 18 August 2017

Wedding

It's the day of the wedding, mercifully a week after the stag and hen parties. The guests are waiting with anticipation for the bride's arrival, after a morning filled with nerves, threats of strapping Heath to the roof of the limousine and a tense moment when he pretended to have lost the rings... 



"Hey Edward. You gettin' outta the sun?"

"Yes. It's a bit of a pain."

"I'll keep you company 'til we start. Hey, I can introduce you to my friend-"



"Oh wow, Edward Farrington?"

"Oh, you know him?"

"Yeah, he used to teach me at uni years ago!"



"...Nyla? Is that you?"

"Yep! Wow, I didn't expect to see you again!"

"Sorry, I didn't recognise you. You look so different!"

"Pink hair and tattoos. As well as being twenty years older..."

"You're not kidding."



"I didn't recognise you either! You're a vampire now, huh?"

"Only recently did I turn. As you can see, I look a lot different too..."

"You look well."



"Thank you. So do you. Come to think of it, I think I've seen you at school before."

"You will have. I've got a daughter. She's six."

"My son is six as well. I suppose they're probably in the same class. Vincent?"

"Yeah! Wow, it's a small world."



"Well, look at you two."

"It's quite the coincidence that you know Stanley too."

"I work with him sometimes. How do you know him?"

"He's a long-time friend."

"Aww, that's great."

"Did you get your degree in the end?"



"...No. I dropped out. Sorry..."

"Oh, right. It's okay, don't worry about it."

"It's fine, I can barely count to ten."

"We know."

"Oh, fuck you."



"Is it 'Insult Stanley time'?"

"No, it ain't."

"Shame. Well, the bride's arrived. We need to go sit down."

"Ah, good."

The ceremony went underway...




Vincent with the task of carrying the rings...




The best man and the maid of honour came out...




Followed by the other two members of the wedding party...




Finally, the bride herself appeared.



To the delight of the groom.




Rings were exchanged...




And the union between Saraya Jane Farrington and Logan Bruce Wayne Greene became official.

The pair signed the documents and left together as husband and wife.







Photos were taken, and soon it was time for the best man's speech...



"Okay then, can I have everyone's attention? Guess I should start with how I know Logan, right? Well, I've known him longer than any of you here, except for Maria of course. We met in preschool, so long ago I can barely remember it. There he was, minding his own business and painting one of his crappy pictures, when I came along and spilled water on it. It was an accident, honest! But he cried, I got told off, I cried, then after that we were bezzies.

As most of you know, back then he wasn't Logan. He was Grace. Don't worry, I'm allowed to talk about it. I wouldn't just out someone without their permission.



He's one hell of a brave person. Again, I'm one of the few people who knew him as a girl. Still the same old person! I remember the transition clearly. He told me about it first, and before he got any help for it he went and cut off all his hair. I reckon Maria probably had forty fits.



"But one day he came back to school as Logan, and that was that. You all heard his middle names, right? That's what happens when you let an eight-year-old choose. Anyway, we've been inseparable all through primary school, then high school too. We formed the band, added our Ivy too and then that was us. Still is. So high school is also where he met Saraya. We knew her in passing for years, but it wasn't 'til year 11 that he made friends with her. He's always been a bit shit at Geography, so the teacher practically forced her to go 'round to his and tutor him. She must have done something right, because he got an A on that assignment.



After that he kept telling me and Ivy how amazing she was and it became pretty blatant that he fancied the pants off her. And she felt the same. I mean, a lot of girls did. He's pretty blessed in the looks department.



"He only had eyes for Raya. In the end, he finally got enough metaphorical balls to ask her out properly at prom. The rest, as they say, was history. He had to come out to her too and he was shitting himself over it. I mean, I don't blame him, but Logan's one of these people who's really chill most of the time 'til there's a crisis, then he freaks the fuck out. And it was all for nothing, because she didn't give a damn about him having no dick. He doesn't need one."



"I still want one though."



"I know. But you're the perfect package, y'know? Sexy, funny, and a damn good friend. I'd almost wanna marry you myself if I didn't have my Ellis. So, to conclude, you two are the perfect couple. They say high school relationships don't last, and most don't, but six years together. That's a lot. And it's pretty clear that you both still feel the same way now as you did at the beginning. You've got a long marriage ahead of you, with a whole brood of adopted babies, no doubt about it. So I invite all of you to raise a glass and have a toast. To Logan and Saraya!"

"To Logan and Saraya!"

No comments:

Post a Comment