Monday 31 July 2017

An intervention



“Raya! It's great to see you!”

“Hi Zeus! Great to see you too. Is a certain douchebag in?”

“No, he's not... I didn't think you'd be interested though, I mean, you haven't seen him in so long...”

“Oh, good. I'm not here for him, actually. I want to talk to your mum.”

“Sure! Go in, I'll fetch her.”



“Thanks. Are you okay?"

"Uh... to tell you the truth, being blatant second best in terms of birthday gifts didn't really make me feel good, no."

"Aww... Hey, you and the others are welcome to come to my new house any time you like, you know that? Just drop in on us, we'd be really happy to have you visit.”

“Thanks! Well, I'm off to school in a minute.”

“No problem. See you!”



“Hi... Long time no see.”

“Hello, Roxxi. How have you been?”

“Oh, you know, the usual. We're fine. You?”

“Great! I'm sure you've heard by now about me getting married.”



“Yeah... congratulations. So... what did you want? Sorry to rush you, it's just-”

“He'll be mad if he comes back and sees us talking? I get it.”

“Uh. Go on then...”

“It's about the wedding. I want the kids to go and Carmella to be a bridesmaid, but Tate's gone and banned it. I was wondering if you'd help out. Just invent some cover story about why they'll be gone for the day. It'd be a massive help.”

“Oh, I don't know about that... Wouldn't it be obvious? He'd probably suspect, if they all went in formal wear and if he learned your wedding day was the same day.”



“They could change at my house. And I'd do my best to make sure he didn't find out the date. I mean, do you have a problem with them going?”

“No... he's doing it out of spite.”

“Exactly... God, how do you put up with him?”



“This isn't really about me. Anyway, I don't think you're the best person to talk to. You said it yourself, we don't have a normal relationship.”

“I'm sorry, I was rude... I was feeling really bitter over the way he'd treated me while I lived here. He certainly knows how to make someone feel worthless...”

“I know, Raya. I'm really sorry.”



“But I should have been nicer. I mean, it's not your fault, and you were always really nice to me. Much nicer than my own mother ever was.”

“You were just a little kid when I came into your life. It must have been confusing.”

“But it's because of that we were able to get along. Aria, on the other hand, she was a teenager, and going through a really difficult phase. She's much better now.”

“I'm sure she is. I don't hold a grudge, you know... I just felt sorry for her.”



“You're really nice, Roxxi.”

“Thanks.”

“During that conversation, it was you who told me not to be a stranger to the triplets because they'd miss me. And you know, they really ought to be a part of such a major thing.”

“I know, you're right. Okay, I'll help you out.”

“Thanks! You won't get into trouble, I promise.”

“Oh, I'm a big girl, I can handle myself.”

“You really don't have to put up with Tate's bullshit, you know.”



“I appreciate it, but leave my marriage to me, okay?”

“Alright. Just... if you ever wanted to leave him, we'd help you do it, okay?”

“Leave..? Tristan's new business would make that difficult, even if I was prepared to uproot all their lives...”



“True... well, we can talk about that properly another time. Anyway. The invitation's extended to you too. If you like.”

“Oooh, I'd love to! That'd be easier to cover up too. Hey, I remember you getting with Logan. You came home from prom so happy...”



“And six years later, I still am! Okay, I'll get out of your hair now. See you later.”

“Bye.”

No comments:

Post a Comment