Monday 10 July 2017

Self-reflection

























“Hey, Aria. Come here for a minute.”

“What?”

“I found the mail from a few weeks ago. It was hidden under a magazine. And, well, you're gonna be real interested in what it is.”

“Go on.”















“It's from your father-”

“What?”

“Hang on, lemme explain. It's an invitation to a business event at the Velvet Lounge. Calling all business owners in Sunset Valley for negotiations, or some shit.”

“He picked the most expensive place.”

“Yeah, it's a formal thing. Man, I don't even own a suit...”















“What's he playing at, Stanley?”

“How would I know?”

“He's planning something, no doubt, and whatever it is can't be good. You're not going to go into business with him, Stanley.”















“God no, even if he wasn't a complete asshole, this is my store. It's goin' nowhere.”

“Good.”

“But hey, it says to take a +1, and I've got no good lookin' girl to go with, so...”

“I hope you find someone.”

“Yeah. She's standin' right here.”

“Really?”

“Why not? Don't you wanna know what he's up to?”















“I haven't seen him in ages, and I was hoping it would stay that way. Ever since I came to live with you lot, I've felt much better.”















“Must be me.”

“You wish. Fine, I'll go. I'm far too nosy to stay away.”

“That's what I thought.”

---





















“Hey, what are you doing..?”















“Hi. Just listening in: Logan and Saraya are in there, looking after Vincent. They're very good with him. It's nice to see.”

“Yeah. He's good for her, isn't he? They make a nice couple.”

“They do. Speaking of which, perhaps you should think about dating too.”















“Oh no, not you too!”

“Hey, I'm not criticising you. But I do get the impression you're deliberately sacrificing your own happiness for the sake of your son.”

“Well, parents should put their child first.”















“No doubt, and I would expect no less from you. However, I'm sure he wouldn't mind it if you started looking for someone. There's no need to be a martyr, Ellis. You'll be no less of a parent just because you got a partner.”

“What if I'm happy on my own?”

“Then that would be fine. I'm not convinced you are, though. You seem like you're holding a lot back.”















“...Damn you, Edward, how do you always know these things?”

“Because I know you.”

“Yeah. Too well. Sure I'd like someone, but it's not happening, is it? I'm a single dad with zero experience. It's not a good combination. I'm not even gonna talk about the way I look.”















“You're also kind, mature and responsible. And don't you dare bring up looks, not when my face is the way it is.”

“Yeah, there's a thought. Why don't you start dating?”

“Many reasons, but this conversation is not about me.”















“I suppose I could ask Charon how he'd feel... but again, I wouldn't even know where to start. I...kinda like someone, but...”

“See? That's a start. I have faith in you, don't worry.”

“Thanks...”

No comments:

Post a Comment